What is a Dental Implant?
Dental implants are a solution for patients needing to replace a missing tooth or missing teeth. They are small, titanium shafts that are surgically inserted into the bone where the previous tooth had been, acting as a tooth’s root. Once stabilized, a replacement tooth or implant crown is placed on top of the dental implant, often held in place by another attachment called an abutment.
The dental implant crown resembles an actual tooth, a hardly noticeable and durable option for making your smile beautiful again. Keep reading to learn more, or contact Meridian Dental with any questions you may have about implants.
What is the Procedure for Dental Implants?
When receiving a dental implant, the procedure will take part in two separate appointments. The first appointment, after a consultation to determine if dental implants are right for you, will be when the implant is surgically implemented in the bone and allowed to stabilize. Local anesthesia will be used when the implant is placed. Afterwards you will receive a temporary tooth replacement to wear while the implant and the bone fuse together. This process can take up to a few months.
During your follow-up appointment, after the shaft is steadfastly in place, the dentist will attach a replacement tooth or the implant crown to the top of the shaft. It may be placed directly on the implant or attached using an abutment.
Your dentist will advise you to take care of your dental implants the same as other teeth. This includes brushing and flossing teeth every day, visiting your local dental office twice a year for professional teeth cleanings, etc.
Why Choose Implants for Teeth Replacements?
Many dentists repeatedly recommend dental implants for their many benefits. Here are just a few:
- Keeps bone from deteriorating more: The bone grows around the dental implant it to form a solid connection, simultaneously slowing or stopping the bone loss which happens when a root of the tooth is missing.
- Less stress on teeth: Dental implants have many benefits over bridges in that they do not stress or weaken the bordering teeth for support.
- Easy to replace: Also, should the tooth replacement wear out or crack, it can be easily replaced by another on the fixed shaft.
- Resembles other teeth: Your implant crown will look just like any other tooth, matching the color of your other teeth and mirroring the shape of the same tooth on the other side of your mouth.
- Multiple uses: Implants can be used for other tooth replacements, not just a single tooth replacement. Sometimes they are used as support as a portion of an implant bridge. This is an alternative solution to partial dentures and has many benefits. First, there is no period of adjustment to acclimate the patient after the procedure is complete, in that they feel teeth instead of metal supports protruding from their gums. Secondly, this procedure slows bone loss caused by missing teeth. Third, patients experience no inconvenience or discomfort in eating. Last and most importantly, they don’t require constant removal.
- Long-term tooth replacement: Because implants fuse together with the bone, they are more stable and durable than several other options for replacing teeth. They are an excellent long-term solution that will last, keeping bone structure intact and your smile looking great!
- High success rates: Studies show dental implants having a higher success rate, with percentages in the high 90s, when compared with other tooth replacement options. Patients are pleased with the results they get from implants, not just right after they receive them, but for years after.
Need Implants in Wasilla, AK? Call Meridian Dental!
Fill out Meridian Dental’s contact form or give our dental office a call when you need to replace teeth in or near Wasilla, AK. We offer friendly service and exceptional dental care provided by one of Wasilla’s best general and cosmetic dentists. Contact us to schedule a consultation appointment if you are considering implants to replace missing teeth.